Wednesday 26 February 2014

Twitter Posts on the Olympics

Hey guys, so its a few days since I posted and since then I have noticed yet another trend in  the media yet again. This one is more so leaning towards social media though. I feel as though this can be directly related to the other media topics that I have noticed before as it may be somewhat related to the coverage that they were shown during the Olympics. What I have noticed is a general turn in the public mood on the social media website "Twitter", in a pretty negative fashion. After the Olympics had concluded. there were alot of very negative tweets directed towards other countries around the world, with alot of Americans tweeting alot of hatred to other countries such as Canada. One of the trending topics on Sunday was "#F***Canada", and I feel as though this is both an unsportsmanlike and immature thing to be doing, especially after an event such as the Olympics.
 I know that people are entitled to their opinion, however when it comes to this I don't think twitter should have allowed for a trending topic such as this to use such vulgar language for people to see.I get that people were upset that the country that they were rooting for did not win in the Olympics, however the fact that they would display that amount of hatred is honestly surprising. It may be related to the coverage that was shown to them during the games, however I don't think that a huge amount of bias would have been used by the different media teams. I guess it was just an odd thing to see for me as the Olympics are supposed to be viewed as a fun, happy collaboration of all countries no matter what their situation is like. Anyways, that was more focused on social media however I feel as though this can still be counted as "media" and coverage as it was peoples opinions on a subject. It would have just been better if it had of been displayed in a more positive way.

Thanks For Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment