Monday 17 February 2014

Olympic coverage

Hey guys, so round 3 of the messages portrayed by the media is here. Not like its a huge deal or anything, but anyways I figured that with the Olympics in full swing I would look into some of the things that I noticed regarding the medias coverage of the events.
 One thing that I noticed right away was that in order to hear about your specific country, you will probably need to be tuned into a station that is broadcasting from your area. I guess to kind if explain that point a bit, if you have satellite you will need to find a Canadian broadcasting station in order to hear an ample amount of information regarding your country. I understand why they do this, however I found myself wondering if all medias coverage was the same in each of the countries. The reason that I think this way is because different countries have different media restrictions with respect to what they can broadcast to the public. I know that this may not be as strict of a topic to cover when compared to others, however at the same time I know that certain countries may want to filter what gets back to their people in order to maintain a "dominant" image.
 Last semester I took a course which looked at the levels of free press in different countries around the world and one of the conclusions that was drawn was that countries that are under communist ruling tend to be more restricted with what they can relay to the public. China and Russia were two of the countries that topped the list which makes me wonder what the people are being told by the media. I guess it is just food for thought, I doubt they would  be really strict about Olympic results, as in retrospect it probably isn't a big deal. But who knows right? I guess only people who have access to China/ Russia s coverage of the Olympics would.
The Olympics that I personally have access to makes it seem like a unified meeting of many countries for the sole purpose of the joy of sport. I guess its just a feel good feeling in which our media tries to spread to all of its viewers. Whether that's a message that is spread worldwide is another story, that's just something to consider I guess.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment